Tuesday 9 June 2009

Preview: Who Is Connected?

Monitoring SSH & AFP Status for Mac OS X


I've always wanted to glance up into the menu bar and see the status of Apple File Sharing (AFP) and Remote Login (SSH) on my Mac. Apple provide a whole range of menu bar (NSStatus) options for AirPort, bluetooth, sound, date, time, battery life etc... But not for file sharing.


In fact, not only would I like to see what's happening in relation to File Sharing and SSH connections, I'd like to be notified of new connections. Having to jump into System Preferences in order to view current sharing status and monitor netstat via terminal to review current connections, seems a little too labour intensive for such a simple request.


After extensive Googling, I was surprised that I couldn't find any ready made solutions. The best I could find was AFPStatus over at sparrer-online.de, however, I wanted something with a smaller footprint, a simpler icon and additional functionality of monitoring incoming SSH connections.


After playing around with AppleScript and the excellent Growl notification framework, I quickly had a working version of a simple notification application which highlighted new incoming SSH connections. So how big would the step be to get this working as a true app for Mac OS X?


Having wanted to for a while, I had finally found an excuse to take the plunge and dive into Xcode. So over the next few blogs, I'll run through my journey of creating Version 1.0 of Who Is Connected? due for release June 09.




>> Part 1: Monitoring AFP Status in Mac OS X Terminal


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Just a note that I'm much in the same boat though less of a programmer. I also found AFPStatus but it's not in development. There was also an older program I don't recall the name of but it stopped long ago. I use personal file sharing often so minding connections became important to me.

    Looking forward to more development!

    ReplyDelete